Arts and Crafts

Thursday, March 12, 2009
I'm so happy. My "Leadership" class at DU is almost over. I've turned in my final paper, posted my last commentary to the boards, and now I'm just waiting for my final grade.

I should probably wait to write about this until that grade comes in, but I'm just bursting at the seams on this one.

Our final work product for this course included a written document applying the leadership principles we learned in the course to our daily lives, and determining our leadership goals and aspirations. Just describing it nearly puts me to sleep, so you can imagine how hard it was for me to write that boring piece of crap. ZZzzz...

But that's just normal required class stuff - you do the work so you can achieve your goal.

But 25% of the grade for the final work project included something called "Creative Depiction of your Leadership Development plan and view of leadership." Here's the assignment description:
Depict your leadership perspective and development plan in some kind of non-academic hands-on presentation. It can be 3-D, auditory, kinesthetic…just be creative. Make it meaningful to yourself as well as a depiction to others of your hopes regarding your leadership development. The sky is the limit here!

Yeah. I've never received an assignment like this before, and I had to admit I was a bit taken aback. Should I have broken out the paper mache, or what?

When I was describing this to my family, the SmartBoy responded with: "No shit? You have to do arts and crafts in college?"

I really love that kid.

In any case, I finally decided to do a diorama, mostly because when I was doing it, I kept remembering my kids doing them in primary school, and that made me giggle. Here's my project:


My company paid $1,756.00 for this class. So I could do arts and crafts at the college level.

Go figure.

8 comments:

Nathan said...

When we used to shoot scouting photos on film and put together physical files for each location, everybody used to call that the "Arts & Crafts" portion of their day. And we were paid for that.

And now I'm off to buy a new stopper for the upstairs tenant's toilet. This will be the "Industrial Arts" portion of my day.

WendyB_09 said...

And you got to showcase our friend GUMBY to boot! WHOO-HOOOO!
Good job!

We get to do similar things at the law office, especially when we are preparing exhibits for trial... sometimes it's arts & crafts, scrapbooking, photography, show and tell...depends on the case.

All basic skills we learned in grade school!

WendyB_09

Eric said...

Should I be frightened that your "leadership perspective and development plan" involves the UCF? Or should the world be frightened...?

Of course, you know you'll have to give this to your Mom when you get it back from the teacher, right? So she can put it on the mantle?

Janiece said...

Bwahahaha!

(And Gumby! With my tats!)

Steve Buchheit said...

"kinesthetic" display of a leadership development plan and view of leadership?

"I shall now demonstrate, for the class' edification, an kinesthetic demonstration on 'might makes right' form of leadership. Will the professor please join me on stage for this demonstration." :)

Yeah, he may want to change that description.

mattw said...

It seems that Gumby is a big fan of the UCF.

MWT said...

Kinesthetic? Did anyone film themselves doing interpretive dance?

Janiece said...

MWT, not that I'm aware of.

Have I mentioned how very happy I am that this class is over?

HAPPY.